Saturday, July 7, 2012

Camino Day Ten

Friday, June 1, 2012
Granon to Tosantos
20.5 km (12.7 miles)


Morning picture in front of San Juan Bautista. The volunteers asked us not to leave before 7 a.m. (what's the point of getting up so early anyway? they asked), so we "slept in," ate breakfast at the albergue, and got ready at a leisurely pace.




Pilgrims and signs of the camino


Cave dwellings


Albergue (San Francisco de Asis) in Tosantos


The hermitage of Our Lady of the Rock (Ermita de la Virgen de la Pena [la Chiesa]).  The hermitage is usually locked, but we were able to have a mass (in Korean, Latin, German, and English) there with the volunteers from our albergue and the other pilgrims. You can read about that service here.

After another communal supper, we had prayers in the upper room of the albergue. As with mass, this service was conducted in multiple languages. We each read the prayer of a pilgrim who stayed there and was on his/her way to Santiago. I read a prayer by a man named Mike. It went something like this:
Please send someone to help my ex-wife, who has MS and really is a good person.
Please send someone to help my ex-girlfriend, who is losing her eyesight, and is a good person.
Please send someone to help my other ex-girlfriend, who is just plain nasty.
Oh, and my life is kinda in the ditch, too.
XOXO
Mike
Please also be with my kids.

We were also given a little yellow arrow pin, which I kept on my backpack for the rest of the trip.

No comments: