Saturday, July 7, 2012

Camino Day Seventeen

Thursday, June 7, 2012
Hermanillos de la Calzada to Mansilla de las Mulas
24.5 km (15.2 miles)


Morning photo


The Roman Road (Calzada Romana). It was a windy day, and the road was flat and hard on our feet. 

From my journal: I had so little energy when we got to this albergue. Adam went to the store and got me a candy bar, which I had been talking about. We had an apple and orange + coffee (each) at breakfast, then some bread along the way. And we hiked 24 km or so by 1:00. So I'm thinking about food. :) And napping.

I did get a nap, then went to the mercado and bought some groceries. They had frozen brussels sprouts, so I sauteed those first, and we gobbled them up!  We ate an early supper at 4 or so. It turned out to be great timing, because everyone else wanted to cook later, and there were only four stove top eyes for them all to share.


The view of the courtyard from the room in which we slept. We had a great night out on that patio, with a group of about a dozen, sharing snacks, meals, ice cream, wine, and gin and tonics.



Colleen and Steve making supper. 



Andrew (from New Jersey) getting some love from Jeff (from New Zealand) and Adam


Laura, who runs the albergue, terrorizing Liz (from Chicago). We met Liz the night before, and guess who helped us get our guidebook back? Somehow Liz found out that her French friend Marie had picked up an English guidebook the day before. Liz hilariously described herself hobbling after Marie, trying to catch her in town before she got on the bus to Leon. Then when I walked into our bunk room later, the book was on my bed, and Liz was trying to sneak out of the room without being seen :)

No comments: