Saturday, July 7, 2012

Camino Day Sixteen

Wednesday June 6, 2012
Moratinos to Hermanillos de la Calzada
23.7 km (14.7 miles)


Morning picture at San Bruno albergue


Rachel's feet in Sahagun--the halfway point between St. Jean Pied de Port and Santiago


bridge in Sahagun


We walked 2 or 3 km past this bridge when we realized we left our guidebook at the albergue where we had coffee. After much deliberation, Adam turned back to get it, and I continued in the direction we had been walking. We planned to stay in Hermanillos de la Calzada at the municipal albergue.


This is what the camino looked like. There was that odd tiger character, which we hadn't seen before (and is so cartoony--what's that about?) on the intermittent signs, and there were barely any people out on the camino that day. I think if you click on the picture (to enlarge it), you can see a couple of people on the horizon of the road. 


All alone on the camino. It was beautiful, but I felt so lonely. There was a split in the camino that was confusing, and I hoped, hoped, hoped that Adam had taken the same path that I chose.


We ended up at the same place! However, the guidebook was gone when Adam got there, so he walked an extra hour or more for nothing. I was just glad we were together. We went shopping at a tiny grocery with a tiny grocer, and I was able to cook us some yummy lentil soup, plus we had bread and olive oil and red wine. We also met some really great people that night, one of whom gave us his bare-bones version of a guidebook. I wrote in my journal: More on today later, but it ended up great. Great. Good food, good people, my faith in the camino is restored.

No comments: