Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Its all in your head

Sunday I was (sortof) bragging to my parents that neither of us have gotten really sick since arriving in Malawi.

And on Monday Luzu was talking about how expats come to Africa are fearful of illnesses--not wanting to get bitten by mosquitoes, not drinking the water, washing hands/using hand sanitizer after playing with orphans. Adam and I tried to reason that, while the placebo effect certainly exists, people get sick from germs to which their bodies are not accustomed.

Then early Tuesday morning I woke up nauseous and with "loose bowels," as Luzu put it. I stayed in bed most of the day and had some bread, banana, and apple for dinner.

This morning Adam woke up with what I had yesterday. How frustrating! While Adam stayed in bed, I had a nice breakfast for someone coming off of a sickness-fast:
doughnuts
a fried egg
french fries

Fortunately, it is 12:30, and so far my body has not revolted from my greasy breakfast! Plus, I am feeling 100% better. Now you can pray that Adam will recover quickly as well!

-Rachel

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your feeling better, now for Adam!

Great talking with you!

Love you very much.

Ohio Mom

Anonymous said...

I have a potential trip to India to address a Canadian customer's needs (sounds convoluted given that I live in Chicago. it is.) I was sharing this with my oldest brother who has travelled much during his career and told him that I know only one person who has gone to India and has not gotten really sick. He countered with stories of colleauges who have come to the US from developing countries and have gotten sick on our water - as best as they could determine it was the water - and suggested that getting sick in a foreign country from ingesting something might have more to do with the bacterial makeup of your stomach than a "nasty bug" in the water/food, i.e. immune system makeup is the key. Which suggests that even though the locals might make fun of people for not eating/drinking the same things they eat and drink because the locals don't get sick on it, may not hold water - no pun intended - for the foreigner since the foreigner, you and Adam in this case, don't have the same immune system as they have. Ok, enough theory. Do what you think is right for you. :-) And if you start to have loose bowels, don't immediately take immodium or some other "plug" because your body is trying to expel something that's harming it and if it's a really nasty bug in your system and you don't allow your body to expel it the way it wants to... well, that will likely lead to more serious problems. I'm sure you have thought all about this. I'm just saying it 'cause I care.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Farmers,

Sorry to hear that you and Adam have been under the weather. I have not had a chance to look at your blog much. I took the opportunity to view the pictures and most of your writing. What a wonderful experience you are having! I hope Adam is feeling better soon.

Love,

Dad

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.