Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Odds and Ends

First order of business:

Our address here (through Catherine) is:

c/o Mrs. C. Gondwe
Community Development Office
PO Box 908
Lilongwe, Malawi
Africa

and our cell phone number is
09 626 260

Calling from out of the country, you dial something like 265 and drop the "0" from the beginning of our number.

Second:
Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

Alexandra grew up in Africa and writes about her crazy childhood in the bush!

Third:
An email from our friend John, who has been living in Tanzania all this year:

I'm really going to miss it here. No more chai and chapatis in the morning, no more jammed daladalas (mini-buses used for transportation), no more of my Tanzanian dad's rants about how bad an idea the East African Union is. I guess I'll have to get used to not being greeted by almost everybody I pass, not being able to see so many stars at night, and not making kids cry just by walking into a room. Most of all, I think I'll just miss my friends. I've spent six and a half months being levelled by the beauty and difficulty of life here. I hope that doesn't sound too cliche or prepared, it's the best I can put it right now.
My time here has been fantastic...I'll see you on the other side.

-Rachel

No comments: