Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Stagnant?

This morning I had a bit of a discouraging experience at the Safe Haven. Yesterday I assigned all eight boys to write a composition. I brainstormed with them and put a note on the bulletin board to remind them of their "homework." They have all written compositions for me before.

Four boys wrote a composition. Two said they had been too busy, and two could not find their notebooks.

Adam and I talked about it a lot on the walk to town (we have taken to walking, mostly, when we are in town, instead of using the minibus. We still take the minibus to and from Likuni.). I feel very frustrated, but what can I do? I have been with the boys for about six weeks. I am leaving in two.

There is consolation--these boys used to live on the street, eating garbage and engaging in substance abuse. They could not speak English before living at the safe haven. Now they are in a safe, clean home, where they get a couple meals a day and (some sort of) education.

But things need to keep moving forward.

-Rachel

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What may feel like baby steps to you is really great strides forward for these young men, and you are part of it. Good job,Rachel.

Great pictures Adam.

Rebecca said...

Change is always slow and then once you have made one step forward, you may eventually take two steps back. It so exciting to see the changes you both are making in the lives of others.

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Rachel,

You are doing great! I identify with what you are feeling about your teaching. Unfortunately, even in American highschools and colleges you often find a couple of students who blow off the homework.

Don't underestimate the difference that you are making in the lives of these young men!

Tyler

:D said...

I want to know if there was a conclusion to this story! Did you talk to them about it?